2023-2024 Staff Assembly Council Elections

Elections are now being conducted for the 2023 – 2024 Staff Assembly Council.

Polling closes: Friday, June 19 at 6:00 p.m.

Positions and Candidate

Statements have been provided by each of the candidates and are included below. Detailed information about the positions is available here: Elected Administrative Officers.

Vice Chair

• Steph Muller, MBA, EdD

Finance Chair Elect

• Mayu McKenzie

Council Communications & Special Programs Chair Elect

• Nancy M. Arroyo

Council of University of California Staff Assemblies (CUCSA) First Year Delegate

• Amy Fujitani

Candidate Statements

Vice Chair: Steph Muller, MBA, EdD

Steph Muller, MBA, EdD
Academic Director
Division of Continuing Education

Candidate Statement:
Given my origins from France, and having worked in higher education for the last 24 years in 8 countries around the world, before settling down in California, I possess an inherent sense of diversity and multiculturalism. Knowing the value of team building and its impact on staff productivity and satisfaction, I am honored to run for the position of vice chair.

I have been involved with University of California since 2008 as a faculty and academic director at UCLA Extension and joined UCI as the academic director at DCE, 11 years ago. I am interested in serving because the Staff Assembly mission is directly in line with why I chose to work at UCI. I thrive as a voice for our staff community and enjoy engaging in discourse on important issues that are affecting us. I had the honor to serve as the delegate of the Council of the University of California Staff Assemblies in 2017 and received the Excellence in Leadership award for innovation in 2021.

I would very much appreciate your vote and thank you for your consideration.

Finance Chair Elect: Mayu McKenzie

Mayu McKenzie
Senior Finance Analyst
School of Humanities

Candidate Statement:
I truly appreciate all the work and effort Staff Assembly has put into supporting staff. UCI has been wonderful to me, and I would like to give back to the community. I currently work as a Sr. finance analyst, and I hope to share my experience in this position. Also, it sounds exciting to be a committee member, which will give me a chance to make more contacts across the entire campus! I am honored to be nominated for this role.

Council Communications & Special Programs Chair Elect: Nancy M. Arroyo

Nancy M. Arroyo
Sr. Academic Personnel Analyst
Department of Computer Science
Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences

Candidate Statement:
I am proud to be a candidate for the position of Communications and Special Program Chair-Elect within the UCI Staff Assembly. As a first-generation, bilingual professional, I prioritize integrity and compassion in my approach to work and leadership. I have over ten years of experience within the UC community; my journey began as an undergraduate at UCB, followed by a staff position at UCLA, and now as the Sr. Academic Personnel Analyst for the Department of Computer Science at UCI.

The nature of my work is captivating due to its inherent challenges and complexities. However, what truly drives me is the opportunity to collaborate with diligent and inspiring staff members from diverse backgrounds. These individuals form the bedrock of our university, and their dedication encourages me to give my best every day. Assuming the Communications and Special Program Chair-Elect role, I aim to establish regular events focused on career advancement, organizational direction, and other relevant topics. By fostering a culture that values our staff, I aspire to create an environment where everyone can thrive.

CUCSA First Year Delegate: Amy Fujitani

Amy Fujitani
Department Manager
Department of Film and Media Studies
School of Humanities

Candidate Statement:
I am honored for the opportunity to serve as UC Irvine’s CUCSA First Year Delegate. Over the course of my 20-year (!!) career at UCI, I’ve had the pleasure of working in three different Schools (Arts, Engineering and Humanities) and alongside many wonderfully talented, diverse, and dynamic staff colleagues. A counselor by training, with an insatiable curiosity to understand the inner workings of the organization, I am invested in supporting the communities we serve and the ways in which policy shapes what we do. On the school level, I served on our UCPath Workgroup and Merit Calibration Teams; on the campus level, I served on Staff Assembly as the Council Communications and Special Programs Officer and was a member of the Committee to Advise President Napolitano on the Selection of the Chancellor and the Excellence in Leadership Committee. These past experiences provided me with an understanding of the ways in which each unit and person works to support the campus mission. It was also through these opportunities that I learned the importance of knowing the details and context under which people and processes operate to effect the greatest positive change. I am excited for the opportunity to represent and advocate for my fellow staff colleagues at the systemwide level and to help ensure UCI remains a place where staff feel supported and heard. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Our goal is to provide expanded opportunities for your involvement in Staff Assembly and to build an organization that has a positive influence on the future of UCI in a rapidly changing workplace.

If you are interested in getting involved with Staff Assembly, we invite you to become a volunteer on any of our standing Staff Assembly committees. For more information, please contact Staff Assembly Chair, Lou Gill, e: gilll@uci.edu